UA Shooting – UA basketball player arrested in woman’s shot to death near The Strip in Tuscaloosa

UA Shooting - UA basketball player arrested in woman's shooting death near The Strip in Tuscaloosa

UA Shooting – One of the two defendants charged with capital murder in connection with a fatal shooting that occurred before dawn on the Strip in Tuscaloosa is the University of Alabama basketball player Darius Miles. On Saturday, it was disclosed that the junior forward had suffered an ankle injury that would prevent him from playing again this year. A little more than 24 hours after the incident, Miles was taken into custody and placed in handcuffs before being taken to the Tuscaloosa County Jail. During a perp walk, 21-year-old Miles looked to be crying and repeatedly told an individual standing outside the Tuscaloosa County Jail, “I love you” and “I love you more than you can imagine.” Both Michael Lynn Davis, 20, of Maryland, and Miles, of Washington, District of Columbia, are accused of murder in connection with the death of Jamea Jonae Harris, 23, of Birmingham. The incident with the shooting took place on the Strip. Neither Davis nor Harris had any ties to the University in any capacity. At around 1:45 in the am on Sunday, police officers from Tuscaloosa and the University of Alabama were called to the Walk of Champions at Bryant Denny Stadium in response to a shooting.

A car had come to a stop there after seeing a vehicle belonging to the University of Alabama Police. According to Captain Jack Kennedy of the Tuscaloosa Violent Crimes Unit, Harris was found to be dead inside the vehicle. The driver, who has not been recognized at this time, told the police that gunfire had been directed at their vehicle. The driver stated that he had fired back in self-defense and may have hit one of the suspects in the process. According to the findings of the investigation, the incident took place in the 400 block of Grace Street, which is accessible from University Boulevard.

Kennedy stated that they were able to identify two individuals after interviewing with many witnesses and studying video security footage. Both were tracked down and given an interview. Kennedy stated that it was discovered that one of the suspects had in fact been wounded by gunshot, but that the wound was not considered to be life-threatening. “At this time, it appears that the shooting was the result of a minor argument that occurred between the victims and suspects after they encountered each other along the strip,” Kennedy said. “The argument appears to have occurred after the victims and suspects encountered each other along the strip.” According to Kennedy, the head of the Violent Crimes Unit, “the member agencies of the Violent Crimes Unit deployed all of their resources and worked together brilliantly to bring this case to a resolution in a quick manner.” On Saturday, the Crimson Tide defeated LSU by a score of 106-66, and Miles spent the game on the bench.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.